By Connaire Wallace, Head of Talent Acquisition
As businesses continue to evolve in the post “great resignation” years , talent acquisition has become an even more critical component of organisational success. At Vay, we believe that talent acquisition is a continuous process, and we are constantly looking for ways to improve. Employees are the backbone of our organisation, and we are committed to attracting and retaining the best talents. We do this by prioritising a holistic approach to talent acquisition, creating a positive candidate experience, excellent communication as well as prioritising diversity and inclusion in everything we do.
5 tips for successful hiring:
1. Building diverse teams: Working together closely with the people team to spotlight the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) across our entire organisation is crucial. For the Talent Acquisition team, it means DEI is essential in hiring practices, including diversifying applicant pools and creating inclusive job descriptions, resume reviews, interviewing panels/ and consistent interview structures, as well as lots more!
2. Continued Adoption of Remote Work: The pandemic has accelerated the adoption of remote work, and companies are expected to continue offering flexible work arrangements in the future. This will require new approaches to recruiting and managing talent, as well as a focus on building strong virtual teams. A flexible work policy, company wide and team (online) events and remote benefits are building strong teams that are able to work efficiently – wherever team members might be based physically. This is an important part of the overall goal to increase all employee’s well being.
3. Emphasis on Skills over Degrees: As the skills gap continues to widen, companies are increasingly looking for candidates who have the specific skills and experience needed for the job, rather than relying solely on traditional credentials like degrees. This needs to lead to a greater focus on skills-based assessments and training programs. In recruiting, specifically in evaluating resumes, we have to take this development into account and educate hiring managers/teams .
4. Use Automation in Recruitment: Companies will continue to adopt AI and automation tools to streamline recruitment processes, including resume screening, candidate sourcing, and interview scheduling. This will help to reduce bias and improve the efficiency of the hiring process. A successful Talent Acquisition team should be data driven and work with contemporary programs that visualise data in a digestible way to streamline the decision-making process and allow us to make faster hires with always increasing quality.
5. Growing Importance of Employer Branding: With competition for top talent increasing, companies will need to differentiate themselves from their competitors by building a strong employer brand. This will involve creating a positive candidate experience, highlighting the company’s values and culture, and using social media and other channels to promote the brand. Employer branding also includes internal mobility and training/education to enhance employee career opportunities, provide excellent leadership across diverse teams, and create growth opportunities.